Sunday, May 15, 2011

JavaScript Books

I'm finding twitter increasingly useful now that my network has grown to include people I know from Scottish Developers events and Code Retreats and I'm having conversations rather than just lurking on discussions.


My JavaScript doesn't extend much beyond the obvious syntax (variables, loops etc) and a rudimentry understanding of the DOM.  I clearly need to brush up a bit before digging into node.js and jasmine.  I don't want to even thing about coffee script before I understand the project it solves. 


So where should I start?  I asked the twitterverse:




Within minutes I had a response! 


Matthew Gillard and Bill Caputo both recommended JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford.  They also recommend:




Certainly a lot to be getting on with


Tools-wise, I downloaded chrome and Firefox and installed the Firebug plugin. 


That was a week ago.  So far, I prefer Chrome.  I like it's mimimal style.  I also like the way firebug highlights the relevant area on the page when you click the markup.


The book is truly awesome.  I would definitely recommend it.









No comments:

Post a Comment